Milwaukee Breakwater Light, Milwaukee Harbor, Milwaukee County, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally built in the 1890s, current structure built in 1926.
MILWAUKEE BREAKWATER LIGHT
Location: LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1890s. Second light in 1926
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1926
Automated? YES 1966
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: STEEL FRAME
Tower Shape: SQUARE ON SQUARE HOUSE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
- Construction of the breakwaters started in 1881. As the Milwaukee breakwaters were built they were lit by temporary beacons.
- In the 1890s a light was built on the breakwater.
- The first light lasted until 1926 when it was replaced with a light built on the south end of the north breakwater. The lens from the pierhead light was installed and that light received a 5th order lens.
- In 1966 the light was automated.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.