Milwaukee Pierhead Lighthouse, Milwaukee Harbor, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Built in 1872.
MILWAUKEE PIERHEAD LIGHT
Location: LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1872
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1906
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: STEEL
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: RED W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Range: 12 miles
Characteristic: Flashing white 4 sec.
- The piers flanking the channel of the river were extended out further into Lake Michigan in 1868. In 1872 a light was built on the end of the north pier to mark the entrance.
- In 1906 the original tower was replaced.
- In 1926 the 4th Order Fresnel was replaced by a 5th order. The 4th order lens was moved to the breakwater light.
- With the completion of the breakwater light a cable was laid to power the pierhead light. The keepers at the breakwater now took care of both lights.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.