Moose Peak Light (Mistake Island Light), Mistake Island, east of Great Wass Island, near Jonesport, Maine
Originally built in 1827, with a new structure (the current structure) built in 1851.
MOOSE PEAK LIGHT
MISTAKE ISLAND, FIVE MILES SOUTHEAST OF JONESPORT, MAINE
Station Established: 1827
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1851
Foundation Materials: MASONRY AND STONE
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SECOND ORDER FRESNEL
- A light station was established on Mistake Island in 1827. In 1851 a 57 foot brick tower was built. It was fitted with a second order Fresnel lens in 1856. There are reports that the tower was rebuilt in 1886. Most likely the tower was refurbished.
- By 1901 the keeper’s house was badly in need of repair. The house was rebuilt in 1903 with a raised walkway to the tower.
- Mistake Island is one of the foggiest areas of Maine. In 1912 a diaphragm fog horn was installed at the station.
- A fog signal house was built to house the horn. In 1916 the horn sounded for 181 consecutive hours. Between 1918 and 1934 the station averaged 1,067 hours per year in the fog. It’s foggy 20% of the time.
- The station was automated in 1972 and the lens was removed. A modern optic replaced it. In 1982 the military blew up the keeper’s quarters.
- The light remains an active aid to navigation. Mistake Island is maintained by the Nature Conservancy however the Coast Guard maintains the lighthouse.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.