Muskegon South Pierhead Light, Muskegon, Muskegon County, Michigan
MUSKEGON SOUTH BREAKWATER LIGHT, MICHIGAN
MOUTH OF THE MUSKEGON CHANNEL, LAKE MICHIGAN, MUSKEGON, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1851
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Foundation Materials: PIER
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- The first lighthouse in Muskegon, Michigan was a wooden tower atop the Keeper’s Quarters built in 1851. It was situated on land.
- In 1871 a square, steel tower was built on the end of the breakwater and the main light was rebuilt.
- A third light was built in 1903 on the south pier head. This red conical tower and the light on the south breakwater replaced the light that was built in 1851. Both lights are active aids to navigation and not open to the public.