Narraguagus Lighthouse (Pond Island Light), Pond Island, Narraguagus Bay, Downeast, Maine
Built in 1853.
NARRAGUAGUS (POND ISLAND) LIGHT
NARRAGUAGAS (POND ISLAND) LIGHT, MAINE
NARRAGUAGAS BAY, THE EAST SIDE OF POND ISLAND, MAINE
Station Established: 1853
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1853
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: GRANITE BLOCKS
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: UNKNOWN
- In 1853 a lighthouse was built on the east side of Pond Island to mark the entrance to the Milbridge harbor. The original light was a tower atop the keeper’s dwelling.
- In 1875 a new keeper’s house was built. The original house was removed from around the tower.
- The tower was reinforced with a layer of brick in 1894. The tower was connected to the keeper’s house by a workroom that added in 1887.
- The light was deactivated in 1934. The entire station was sold at an auction. It remains privately owned. It is not an active aid to navigation.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.