New Castle Range Rear Lighthouse, New Castle, Delaware
Established in 1876.
NEW CASTLE RANGE LIGHTS
Location: Delaware River near New Castle, Delaware
Station Established: 1876
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: Front-1964, Rear-1953
Automated: Front-1964; Rear-1953
Foundation Materials: Unknown
Construction Materials: Steel
Tower Shape: Skeletal
Characteristic: Front-occulting white; Rear-flashing white
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Unknown
Fog Signal: None
- The original New Castle Range lights were wooden towers built in 1876. The rear range light was attached to the keeper’s quarters while the front light was a free standing tower.
- The original front range light was demolished in 1964 when it was replaced by a steel skeletal tower.
- The original rear range light was deactivated in 1953 when it was replaced by another steel skeletal tower. The original lighthouse was burned 1982.
- Both of the current steel towers remain an active aid to navigation and are not open to the public.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a member of the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.