Nobska Point Light (Nobsque Light), near the division between Buzzards Bay and Nantucket Sound and Vineyard Sound, Woods Hole, Falmouth, Massachusetts
Built in 1829.
NOBSKA POINT LIGHT
Location: EAST ENTRANCE TO WOODS HOLE HARBOR NEAR FALMOUTH, MASSACHUSETTS
Station Established: 1829
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1876
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: IRON WITH BRICK LINING
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER FRESNEL
* Built in 1828 the original lighthouse at Nobska Point was an octagonal lantern atop a keeper’s house. The lantern was a strain on the building.
* By 1876 a new lighthouse was needed. A 40 foot cast iron tower was built on the site. A fifth order Fresnel lens was installed.
* The sections of the tower were cast in Chelsea, Massachusetts and shipped to Woods Hole Harbor in four sections. The tower was painted a reddish-brown color for use as a day marker. A Victorian keeper’s dwelling was built at this time.
* In 1888 a fourth order lens was installed to replace the fifth order.
* In 1907 a second keeper’s dwelling was built. At some point years later the two dwellings were connected.
* The United States Coast Guard took over the lighthouses in 1939. Civilian keeper’s remained at the light until November 1973.
* The light was automated in 1985. The last keeper left at this time. The light has been “adopted” by the Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla. They open the light on special occasions.
* The light remains an active aid to navigation.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.