Old Reedy Island Lighthouse, Reedy Island, Delaware
OLD REEDY ISLAND LIGHT
Location: South end of Reedy Island on the Delaware River, Near Port Penn, Delaware
Station Established: 1839
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1839, 1879
Foundation Materials: Unknown
Construction Materials: Unknown
Tower Shape: Square tower on top of original dwelling
Characteristic: Flashing white with red sector
Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
Original Lens: Fourth Order, Fresnel
Fog Signal: Bell, 1 stroke every 15 seconds
- The Reedy Island light served between 1839 and 1877. The original tower was a 44-foot round brick tower and two-story keeper’s house.
- The light was reactivated in 1879. This time a square tower was placed on top of the original dwelling.
- The light was discontinued permanently in 1950. The structure was destroyed by fire. A light tower still stands near the original sight of the lighthouse. The light tower is an active aid to navigation.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a member of the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.