Outer Island Lighthouse, Outer Island, Apostle Islands, Lake Superior, near the city of Bayfield, Ashland County, Wisconsin
Built in 1874.
OUTER ISLAND LIGHT
Location: APOSTLE ISLANDS/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1874
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1874
Automated? YES 1961
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: BRICK W/ITALIANATE BRACKETING
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1874
- In 1871 money was appropriated for a light at the most northeastern point of the Apostle Islands.
- In 1874 a light was placed on Outer Island to (among other things) mark the turning point for vessels traveling to Ashland. It also marked the shoals of the Outer Island.
- In 1875 the fog building was moved to avoid further damage from the ice storms.
- In 1878 a second fog building was installed as a back up to the already existing fog building.
- In 1884 a tramway was built so supplies could be more easily transported to the fog building.
- A hoisting mechanism powered by steam was added in 1887.
- In 1900 the two fog buildings were combined and the equipment was refurbished. They were upgraded again in 1929.
- In 1961 the light was automated and the Fresnel lens was removed.
- In 1970 the light was added to the Apostle Island National Lake Shore Park.
- In 1975 the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- In 1987 money was appropriated to slow erosion that threatened the light. Work was postponed.
- In 2006 steps were taken to stem the erosion of the island as a vegetation crib was installed.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.