Palmer's Island Lighthouse, New Bedford, Massachusetts
Originally built in 1849, and rebuilt after a hurricane in 1938.
PALMER ISLAND LIGHT
Location: NEW BEDFORD HARBOR
Station Established: 1849
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1849
Automated? YES 1941
Foundation Materials: RUBBLE STONE
Construction Materials: RUBBLE STONE
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER
* 1849 – 24’ rubblestone tower built.
* 1888-1891 – Lighthouse served as range light together with Fairhaven Bridge lighthouse to guide mariners through Butlers Flats until a lighthouse was built there.
* 1900 – Fog bell installed in separate structure.
* 1905 – Oil house built.
* 1941 – Lighthouse automated.
* 1962 – Lighthouse decommissioned.
* 1966 – Lighthouse burned by arsonists.
* 1989 – Renovations destroyed by vandals.
* Circa 1966 – Local group restored the lighthouse and improved the site.
* William Sherman (1849-1853)
* Charles D. Tuell (1853-1861)
* George Cowie (1872-1891)
* Arthur Small (1922-1938)
* Franklin Ponte (c. 1939-1940)
* Martin Maloney (c.1941)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.
Also see entry for Fairhaven Bridge Light, New Bedford, Massachusetts, listing above.