Pauwela Point Lighthouse, Haiku-Pauwela, Hawaii
Built in 1910.
PAUWELA POINT LIGHT
Location: NE Coast of Maui, HAWAII
Station Established: 1910
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit:
Tower Shape: White post
Focal Plane: 161’
Characteristics: Flashing white every 15 seconds; range 15 nautical miles.
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens: Lens Lantern by Barbier, Benard & Turenne
- 1910 - First light put into operation was an unattended acetylene light shown from a mast.
- 1915 - Mast light replaced by wooden tower on keeper’s dwelling.
- 1921 - Light was automated.
- 1937 - Automated light replaced with one that required a keeper (airport revolving beacon with green lens) atop a 72’ reinforced concrete tower.
- Circa 1946 - concrete tower replaced by 48’ tall steel skeletal tower.
- Date unknown - skeletal tower replaced by white post.
- Philip Kepilino (1911 - 1921)
- John Enos, Jr. (1937 - 1941)
- Ed Marques (1946 - 1962)
- Robert Hearn (USCG Petty Officer, 1962-1964)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.