Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

Sept. 24, 2019

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, Bristol, Lincoln County, Maine

Built in 1827.


Location: Entrance to Muscongus Bay
Station Established: 1827
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1835
Operational: Yes
Automated: Yes, 1934
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: Natural, emplaced
Construction Materials: Rubble stone
Tower Shape: Conical
Markings/Pattern: White with black lantern
Relationship to Other Structure: Attached
Original Lens: Argand Lamps

Historical Information:

The United States Government established the original Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, about 1/3 of a mile from Pemaquid Point at the entrance to Muscongus Bay, Maine.  President John Quincy Adams ordered the original structure built in 1827. Later, in 1857, President James Buchanan ordered the light reconstructed.  The current structure is a white, pyramidal tower, 34 feet high and exhibiting its light at 79 feet above sea level.  The only man to ever win the Medal of Honor and the Gold Lifesaving Medal, Marcus A. Hanna, once served as keeper of the light.  The station became automated in 1934.

Keepers (Keeper; Date Appointed):

Isaac Dunham: 3 November 1827
Nathaniel Gammage, Jr.: 13 June 1837
Robert Curtis: 31 July 1849
Samuel C. Tibbetts: 9 April 1853
John Fossett: 12 February 1858
J. Lawler: 29 March 1861
Marcus A. Hanna: 30 July 1869
William L Sartell: 31 July 1873
Charles A. Dolliver: 28 September 1883
Clarence E. Marr: 16 August 1899
Leroy S. Ewell: 1 July 1922


Labrie, Rose Cushing. The Story of Pemaquid Light: A History of Pemaquid Light Installation. (Hampton, NH: Hampton Publishing Company, Incorporated, 1961).