Pepe'ekeo Point Light, Minor light of Hawaii, Pepe'ekeo, Hawaii
PEPEEKEO POINT LIGHT
Location: On the point, off HI 19 about 6 miles (10 km) north of Hilo
Station Established: 1907
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1907
Construction Materials: steel
Tower Shape: Steel pole
Height: 75’, focal plane 147’
Markings/Pattern: white and black dayboard
Characteristics: white light occults every 4 sec.
Relationship to Other Structure:
- Also known as Aila Point Light or Makahanaloa Light
- Built to replace the 1897 Makahanaloa lighthouse.
- Escaped serious damage from a major tsunami in 1960.
- Considered to be a companion lighthouse to Paukaa Point Light.
- David Kalili (1907-1913)
- George Brockman (1913-1917)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.