Perkins Island Light Station, Kennebec River, Maine
Built in 1898.
PERKINS ISLAND LIGHT
PERKINS ISLAND/KENNEBEC RIVER
Station Established: 1898
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1898
Automated? YES 1959
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER
- 1898 – Lighthouse first built.
- 1901 – Boathouse built.
- 1902 – Bell tower built, light apparatus upgraded from lens lantern to 5th order Fresnel lens.
- 1906 – Oil house built.
- 1959 – Lighthouse automated.
- 1973 – Ownership of the property transferred to Town of Georgetown.
- 1979 – 5th order Fresnel lens removed and replaced by modern optic.
- 2000 – Bell tower restored, lighthouse licensed to American Lighthouse Foundation.
- J.W. Haley (c.1911 – 1927)
- Eugene Osgood (c. 1930s)
- Clifford Morong (c. 1946)
- Clarence Skolfield (1946-1955)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.