Pipe Island Light, Pipe Island, St. Mary's River, De Tour Village, Chippewa County, Michigan
Built in 1888.
PIPE ISLAND LIGHT
Location: "On the southwesterly side of Pipe Island, Michigan, easterly side of channel, about 2 miles N. 1/4 W. of Frying -Pan Island Light-House, Detour Passage, St. Marys River."
Station Established: 1888
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1888
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL WITH SKELETAL DAYMARKER IN PLACE OF LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Tower Height: 15 feet from base of tower to center of lantern
Characteristic: Fixed Red
Original Lens: 5th Order
Fog Horn: No
Station was established in 1888. It was built by the Lake Carriers Association to aid shipping entering the St. Mary's River from Lake Huron and included a detached on-and-one half story white frame dwelling about 50 feet from the tower.
According to the 1901 Lights and Fog Signals of the United States: "Coast Light. Marks a range with Frying-Pan Island Light, for entering and leaving Detour Passage, and marks turning point into channel."
In 1937 the lantern room was removed and a skeletal tower with a day marker was added.
The lighthouse is not open to the public but is an active aid to navigation.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.