Point Arena Lighthouse, Mendocino County, California
Originally built in 1870, current tower built in 1908.
POINT ARENA LIGHT
Location: TWO MILES NORTH OF POINT ARENA
Station Established: 1870
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1908
Automated? YES 1977
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, ROTATING FRESNEL 1908
Point Arena Light Station is located at Point Arena, Calif., north of San Francisco in the Fort Point Group. The light was established in 1870, but as a result of the earthquake of 1906, the light tower was reconstructed in 1908. The tower is 115 feet high, with a first order lens, which is the only mercury floated light still in existence in the Twelfth Coast Guard District. Four men man this family station and are provided with quarters as follows: One 4 bedroom unit, three 3-bedroom units. Other buildings are the light tower, paint locker, fuel locker, bosun locker and buildings housing the fire pump, water pumps and JP-5 fueling pumps. The station has a ½-ton pickup truck assigned which, among other things, is utilized to transport dependent school children to school three miles from the station.