Point Conception Lighthouse, west entrance of the Santa Barbara Channel, Santa Barbara, California
Built in 1856.
POINT CONCEPTION LIGHT
WEST ENTRANCE SANTA BARBARA CHANNEL
Station Established: 1856
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1882
Automated? YES 1973
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: STUCCO/WOOD/BRICK
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL ATTACHED TO OIL HOUSE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL 1856
The history of Point Conception goes back to a period when Juan Cabrillo sailed along the California coast in search for glory and gold. On October 18, 1542, he encountered heavy winds upon rounding the Point and was forced to turn back to San Miguel Island where he died. Second-in-command Bartolome Ferrelo took charge and again tried to round the Point but he was also unsuccessful. The Point was named Punta de la Limpia Concepcion by Vizcaino in 1602, who was the next Spanish sailor to venture the Pacific waters along the California coast after Juan Cabrillo.
It was here at Point Conception in 1856, that the lighthouse was built high on the sandstone cliffs, above the location of the present lighthouse. The lens and steel tower for the lighthouse were made in France at a cost of $65,068 and was transported around Cape Horn. A report indicates that the lighthouse was severely damaged during the Fort Tejon earthquake of January 9, 1867. The lighthouse was moved in 1881 and rebuilt from the top of the bluff to a mesa midway down, 133 feet above the Pacific.