Point Fermin Lighthouse, Point Fermin, San Pedro, California
Built in 1874.
POINT FERMIN LIGHT
Location: POINT FERMIN/SAN PEDRO HARBOR, NEAR SAN PEDRO, CALIFORNIA
Station Established: 1874
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1874
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: WOOD FRAME
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: ITALIANATE TOWER ON ITALIANATE DWELLING
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL LENS, 1874
- Point Fermin Light was built in 1874 with lumber from California redwoods.
- In 1941 the light was extinguished and the lantern room and gallery were removed. They were replaced by a lookout shack that remained for the next 30 years.
- In 1972 the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- The light fell into disuse and disrepair. A new lantern room and gallery were built in 1974.
- The building is now the residence of the park superintendent.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.