Point of Shoals Light, James River, Virginia
Screwpile style lighthouse built in 1835.
POINT OF SHOALS LIGHT
Location: Burwell Bay in the James River, Virginia
Station Established: 1855
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1871
Tower Shape: Hexagonal Screw-pile
Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
Original Lens: 6th order
Characteristic: Fixed White
- The first lighthouse at this sight was built in 1855.
- It was a hexagonal screw-pile with a pressed glass masthead lens.
- Confederates raided the lighthouse during the Civil War.
- In 1871 the lighthouse had to be rebuilt due to severe damage caused by ice flows.
- It was automated in 1932 and deactivated in 1933.
- It was torn down in the 1960s.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.