Portage Lake Lighthouse, eastern short of Lake Michigan between Ludington and Frankfort, Michigan
Built in 1891, first lit the night of April 30, 1891.
PORTAGE LAKE PIERHEAD LIGHT
NORTH PIER OF PORTAGE LAKE HARBOR, LAKE MICHIGAN, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1891
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1930
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: STEEL
Tower Shape: SKELETAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
There is very little information available for this lighthouse. In 1891, a kerosene light was placed at the north end of the pier on Portage Lake Harbor. A metal cat walk to the light was added in 1901. * The light was automated in 1917 and lit with acetylene.
The wooden light was replaced by a steel skeletal tower in 1930 and cement was added to the pier in 1940. The steel tower was removed in 1985 and replaced with a gas cylinder.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society