Port Washington Breakwater Lighthouse, Port Washington, Wisconsin
Built in 1935 to replace the Port Washington Lighthouse built in 1889.
PORT WASHINGTON BREAKWATER LIGHT
Location: LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1889
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1935
Automated? YES 1975
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: STEEL
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: Fourth Order Fresnel
- In 1934 funds were approved to build a light on one of the newly completed breakwaters that were built to protect Port Washington.
- The light began operation in 1935.
- It was automated in 1975.
- At some point the Fresnel lens was removed and replaced with a modern beacon.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.