Presque Isle Front Range Lighthouse, Presque Isle, Harbor View, Michigan
PRESQUE ISLE LIGHTS
PRESQUE ISLE PENINSULA, LAKE HURON, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1840
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1871
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER FRESNEL
Presque Isle means “almost an island”. The first Presque Isle light was built in 1840 but 1868 it was in such bad shape that a complete rebuild of the station was more cost effective than repairs. The new tower was built two miles to the north of the 1840 light. The new tower is 113 feet tall and was fitted with a third order Fresnel lens. The keeper’s dwelling is a two story building, connected to the tower by a covered passageway.
When the new light was completed in 1871, the old tower was rendered obsolete. It was decommissioned and sold into private hands. In 1995 the land was transferred from the private owners to the Presque Isle Township to be used as a museum and park. The station was automated in 1970. The Coast Guard then leased the property to the Presque Isle Township to use a park.
In 1988 the tower was rebricked and restored. In 1998 the deed was officially transferred to the township with the Coast Guard retaining the Fresnel lens as the light remains an active aid to navigation. The grounds are open to the public and the 1870 keeper’s quarters are a museum and gift shop.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.