Prospect Harbor Lighthouse, Prospect Harbor, Maine
Built in 1850.
PROSPECT HARBOR POINT LIGHT
PROSPECT HARBOR POINT
Station Established: 1850
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1891
Automated? YES 1951
Foundation Materials: GRANITE BLOCKS
Construction Materials: WOOD FRAME
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1870
- 1848 – 35 foot rubble stone tower constructed.
- 1865 – Lighthouse discontinued.
- 1870 – Lighthouse re-established and 5th order Fresnel lens installed.
- 1891 – Stone tower replaced by 38 foot wooden tower.
- 1905 – Oil house built.
- 1934 – Lighthouse automated, but keepers were still on site.
- 1951 – Fresnel lens replaced by modern optic.
- 2000 – Coast Guard reshingled and painted the lighthouse. Lighthouse licensed to the American Lighthouse Foundation.
- 2004 – Lantern removed, lead paint removed and repainted. Lantern deck was replaced before the lantern was reattached to the lighthouse.
- Pilsbury Stevens (1850-1853)
- S. H. Sargent (1853-1858)
- Gibeon E. Harman (1858-1859)
- John Royal (1870-1872)
- Horatio Allen (1872-1885)
- Ambrose Wasgatt (1885-1924)
- Albion Faulkingham (1925-1935)
- John Workman (1935-1953)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.