Race Point Light, Cape Cod, Provincetown, Massachusetts
Originally built in 1816, replaceds in 1876 with the current structure.
RACE POINT LIGHT
Location: NORTHWEST TIP OF CAPE COD NEAR PROVINCETOWN, MASSACHUSETTS
Station Established: 1816
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1876
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: IRON PLATE WITH BRICK INTERIOR
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
* In 1816 a rubblestone lighthouse was built at Race Point. It was the third light on Cape Cod and housed one of the first rotating beacons. That differentiated it from the existing lights.
* In 1858 a fourth order Fresnel lens was installed in the light. A second keeper’s quarters were built in 1874. By 1875 the original tower was in horrible shape. It was reported the mortar had disappeared and the tower needed to be rebuilt.
* In 1876 an iron tower replaced the original stone tower. The new tower’s interior was lined with brick. The original Fresnel lens was installed in the new tower. The original keeper’s house was torn down and rebuilt at this time.
* In 1957 electricity reached the light station. The larger keeper’s house was torn down in 1960 and the other house was modernized.
* The light was automated in 1972. The light remains an active aid to navigation. The tower and existing building are being restored.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.