Racine North Breakwater Lighthouse, Racine, Wisconsin
RACINE BREAKWATER LIGHT
Location: RACINE HARBOR ENTRANCE OFF LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1900
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit:
Foundation Materials: Breakwater
Construction Materials: Iron and Steel
Tower Shape: Inverted Funnel
Markings/Pattern: Sheet Iron
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Sixth Order Fresnel
- In 1900 the breakwaters were finished at Racine harbor. A temporary light was placed on the end of the breakwater.
- In 1910 a more permanent light was placed on the outer end of the northern breakwater.
- This tower was replaced by 1930 when the light from the North Pier was moved to this location.
- In 1987 the light was discontinued. Because of public demands the light was moved to the Reef Point Marina Complex rather than be torn down.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.