Racine Pierhead Lighthouse, Racine, Wisconsin
RACINE NORTH PIERHEAD LIGHT
Location: RACINE HARBOR ENTRANCE OFF LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1872
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1902
Operational? Yes (but moved)
Foundation Materials: Wood (original tower) /Concrete crib
Construction Materials: Wood (original tower)/Cast -Iron
Tower Shape: square
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Possibly a sixth order Fresnel.
- The first light was built here in 1872 and was a simple wooden structure.
- Each time the pier was extended the little wooden light would be moved to the end of the extension.
- In 1894 an experimental conduit system was built that was supposed to allow the keeper to maintain this beacon from the Racine Harbor light. The system did not work well and was abandoned in 1896.
- By 1900 it was decided a larger more durable light was needed so the wooden light was moved while a larger light was constructed.
- In 1902 the new light was activated along with a fog bell. The wooden light was deactivated.
- Sometime in the 1920s the light was moved to the breakwater.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.