Ram Island Light, offshore of Ram Island, eastern entrance to Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Built in 1883.
RAM ISLAND LIGHT
RAM ISLAND/BOOTHBAY HARBOR
Station Established: 1883
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1883
Automated? YES 1965
Foundation Materials: GRANITE BLOCK CAISSON
Construction Materials: BRICK ON GRANITE
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/NATURAL CAISSON & BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1881
- 1883 – Lighthouse and keeper’s house built.
- 1897 - Fog bell tower built.
- 1898 – Brick oil house built.
- 1965 – Lighthouse automated.
- 1977 – The Coast Guard rebuilt the lighthouse with new bricks and refurbished the lantern.
- 1970 – Boathouse destroyed in February blizzard.
- 1998 – Property transferred to Grand Banks Schooner Museum Trust.
- Samuel John Cavanor (Cavenor) (1883-1913)
- O. G. Reed (1913)
- Almon Mitchell (1913-1925)
- Alonzo A. Conors (1925-?)
- C. N. Robinson (c. 1930s)
- Ralph Norwood (1945-1950)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.