Reedy Island Range Rear Light, near Taylor's Bridge, Townsend, Delaware
Skeletal light tower built in 1839.
REEDY ISLAND RANGE REAR LIGHT
DELAWARE RIVER MOUTH
Station Established: 1839
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1910
Automated? YES mid 1930s
Foundation Materials: 9 CONCRETE PIERS
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: SKELETAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER RANGE 1910
- The original light was discontinued in 1950. A skeletal tower replaced it.
- Added to the National Historic Register in 1989.
- On April 6, 2002 vandals set the keeper’s house on fire, destroying the structure and damaging the brick oil house nearby.
- Skeletal tower which stand nearby is still an active aid to navigation.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.