Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, Rockland, Maine
Breakwater was built in 1880, with a lighthouse constructed at its end in 1902, replacing a lighthouse at Jameson Point
ROCKLAND HARBOR BREAKWATER LIGHT
JAMESON POINT/ROCKLAND HARBOR
Station Established: 1827
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1902
Automated? YES 1964
Foundation Materials: TIMBER/GRANITE PIER
Construction Materials: DRESSED STONE/BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE TOWER ON FOG SIGNAL BUILDING
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER
- 1827 – Oil lamp placed on pole or wooden tripod.
- 1881 – Work begun on breakwater. Pole light relocated to the end of the breakwater and moved as the breakwater progressed.
- 1899 – Breakwater completed.
- 1902 – Pole light replaced by light tower on top of keeper’s dwelling.
- 1964 – Lighthouse automated.
- 1973 – Owners of Samoset Resort agreed to maintain and preserve the lighthouse.
- 1989 – Samoset gave up the license to the lighthouse.
- 1990 – The Coast Guard refurbished, scraped and painted the structure inside and out. Slate roof and chimney repairs contracted out.
- 1998 – Lighthouse transferred to City of Rockland; Friends of Rockland Breakwater formed.
- 1999 – Exterior scraped and painted by volunteers.
- 2003 – Float and boat ramp added.
- Eba Ring (caretaker of earlier beacon, 1888?-?)
- Llewelyn C. Ames (caretaker of earlier beacon, c. 1895-1902)
- Howard P. Robbins (1902-1909)
- Clifford M. Robbins (assistant, c. 1902-1908)
- Charles W. Thurston (1909)
- Leroy S. Elwell (assistant, 1909, keeper, 1909-1916)
- Edward J. Collins (assistant, 1909)
- Harold I. Hutchins (1916-1917)
- Harry Smith (assistant, 1910)
- Albert D. Mills (assistant, 1912)
- Wallace M. Pierce (assistant 1913-1915)
- Fairfield H. Moore (1917-1921)
- Albert P. Tribou (assistant 1921-1923)
- Winfield P. Kent (1921-1925)
- Ernest V. Talbot (assistant 1924)
- Leroy S. Elwell (1925-1928)
- Fairfield H. Moore (1928-1934)
- Bernard A. Small (assistant 1928)
- William L. Lockhart (assistant 1930-1931)
- Earle Emery Benson (assistant, 1931-1934)
- George E. Woodward (assistant 1934, keeper 1934-1945)
- Weston E. Thompson (assistant, 1935)
- Ernest F. Witty (assistant 1935-1942)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.