Saginaw River Rear Range Light, Bangor Township, Michigan
Saginaw River Light was originally constructed from 1839 to 1941 and operated through the 1870s. The river was dredged in 1867 and the light was replaced by a pair of range lights, including the rear range light, in 1876. Deactivated in the 1970s.
SAGINAW RIVER (REAR RANGE) LIGHT
Location: Bangor Township, Michigan (Mackinac Straits approach/Lake Michigan)
Station Established: 1831
Year Current Tower First Lit:1876
Deactivated: early 1962
Foundation Materials: Reinforced concrete
Construction Materials: Brick
Tower Shape: Cylindrical
Relationship to Other Structure: Attached
Original Lens: Fourth Order Fresnel
Height of Focal Plane: 103
1831: First light at Saginaw River was built south of the mouth of the river. A lighthouse was needed due to increase in vessels traveling through the river for lumber export.
1876: New lighthouse was built in a range light configuration.
1970s: Remained an active guide until the Coast Guard Station moved across the river due to needing more space.
1986: Dow Chemical, who owned the surrounding land, purchased the facility and boarded it up. Although it is not well documented, it is believed that the Saginaw River Light was the first location to install range lights.
Researched and written by Jamie Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.