Sand Hills Lighthouse, Ahmeek, Keweenaw County, Michigan
Built in 1919.
SAND HILLS LIGHT
FIVE MILE POINT/EAGLE RIVER/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1919
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1919
Automated? YES 1939
Construction Materials: YELLOW BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1919
1916 – Barracks building built. It was later used during WWII.
1917 – Lighthouse commissioned for this site. Concrete breakwater built.
1919 – Lighthouse completed. It is a twin to the Scotch Cap Lighthouse in Alaska.
1939 – Lighthouse automated.
1942 – Lighthouse converted for use as a Coast Guard training facility.
1943 – Converted back to lighthouse use only.
1954 – Decommissioned.
1958 – Sold into private hands.
1992 – Converted into a Bed & Breakfast establishment.
1919-1939 William Bennetto (only head keeper ever for this lighthouse).
1919-1930 John Whelan (1st assistant)
1936-1940 Edward Tormala (1st assistant)
1919-1920 Louis Wilkes (2nd assistant)
1924-1928 Charles Miles (2nd assistant)
1936-1939 Samuel Anderson (2nd assistant)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.