Sand Island Lighthouse, Sand Island, Apostle Islands, Bayfield County, Wisconsin
Built in 1881.
SAND ISLAND LIGHT
Location: APOSTLE ISLANDS/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1881
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1881
Automated? YES 1921
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: SANDSTONE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1881
- In 1881 this light was built on the northern tip of Sand Island.
- In 1886 some improvements were made on the crib and a boat house was constructed.
- In 1902 the cribs were replaced and a storage building was added to the station. A walkway was constructed from the dock to the bluff.
- In 1921 the light was automated.
- In 1933 the light was deactivated.
- In 1977 the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- In 1981 the light was again lit.
- The light is open to the public as part of the Apostle Islands Park in the summer.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.