Sanibel Island Lighthouse (Point Ybel Light), Gulf coast north of Key West and Dry Tortugas, Sanibel, Florida
Skeleton tower built in 1884.
SANIBEL ISLAND LIGHT
Location: POINT YBEL, EASTERLY END OF SANIBEL ISLAND, AND THE WESTERLY SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE TO SAN CARLOS BAY AND THE PORT OF PUNTA RASA
Station Established: 1884
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1885
Automated: Yes, 1949
Foundation Materials: Iron pile
Construction Materials: Iron
Tower Shape: Square, pyramidal, skeleton, iron framework, inclosing stair-cylinder and surmounted by lantern; all brown. Two white dwellings near tower.
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Third Order, Fresnel, 1884
Characteristic: Fixed white varied by a white flash every 2 minutes (1901)
- 1880 - Lighthouse Board approves building of the lighthouse.
- 1883 - Lighthouse reservation established on Dec. 9th.
- 1923 - Kerosene lanterns upgraded to acetylene gas.
- 1949 - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service assume responsibility for the lighthouse and the out buildings.
- 1952 - TV antenna added to tower.
- 1962 - Lighthouse is electrified.
- 1974 - Keepers quarters and light tower placed on National Registry of Historic Places.
- Dudley Richardson (Head Keeper 1884-1892)
- John Johnson (Asst. Keeper 1884 - 1888)
- Henry Shanahan (Asst. Keeper 1888-1892)
- Henry Shanahan (Head Keeper 1892 - 1913)
- Eugene Shanahan (Henry’s son - Head Keeper 1913 - unknown)
- Clarence Rutland (Henry Shanahan’s stepson - Asst. Keeper 1936 - 1941)
- William Robert England, Jr. (Coast Guard, 1946-1949).
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.