Sapelo Island Lighthouse, Sapelo Island, McIntosh County, Georgia
Built in 1820.
SAPELO ISLAND LIGHT
Location: SOUTH END OF SAPELO ISLAND, NEAR DARIEN, GEORGIA
Station Established: 1820
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1820
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: 6 RED AND WHITE BANDS
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- The 80 foot Sapelo Island Light was built in 1820. Originally equipped with fifteen 16-inch parabolic oil lamps on a revolving platform, a fourth order Fresnel lens was installed in 1854.
- Confederate troops removed the lens and destroyed the reflector system during the Civil War. They did not harm the tower. The tower was repaired and the light was relit in 1868.
- In October of 1898 Sapelo Island was hit by a hurricane which caused serious damage to the light tower and its foundation. Attempt to make the structure sound where unsuccessful. In 1905 a new 100 foot steel skeletal tower was built.
- In 1933 the skeletal was removed and sent to South Fox Island in Lake Michigan. It still stands there.
- The original 1820 tower was not dismantled. In 1997 restoration began on it. The tower was re-lit on September 6, 1998. The tower has been repainted with its noticeable 6 red and white bands.
- The tower is part of the Sapelo Island Estuarine Reserve and is open to the public. It is operational.