Sea Girt Lighthouse, Sea Girt, New Jersey
SEA GIRT LIGHT
RELOCATED FROM SEA GIRT INLET
Station Established: 1896
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Automated? YES 1945
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Height: 44 feet; focal plane 60 feet
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: RED BRICK W/BLACK & WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Characteristics: Flashing red light for 2 seconds out of every 6 seconds (1896); white light with 1 flash per second (1912)
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1896
- 1889: Congress appropriated $20,000 for a lighthouse near Squan Inlet. Before the sale of land picked out for the lighthouse was completed, the site was determined to be unfit for a lighthouse.
- 1894-1895: A new site was selected and the title to the land was transferred.
- 1896: Construction of the lighthouse was completed.
- 1896, 10 December: The lighthouse was first lit.
- 1900: A 240 foot sand fence was installed to protect the lighthouse from erosion.
- 1912, May: The kerosene wick lamp was replaced with an incandescent oil vapor lamp. The light characteristic was changed to a white light with 1 flash per second.
- By the 1920s: The ocean lapped at the lighthouse foundation. Interlocking steel pilings were installed around the seaward side of the light.
- 1921: Sea Girt became the first shore light station with a radio fog signal.
- 1924, November: The light was electrified and changed to a 300-watt lamp.
- 1941: The light was shut down and the Fresnel lens was removed. At the end of World War II a new light was instated on top of the lantern room. It was similar to an airport beacon.
- 1955: The lighthouse discontinued. The property was offered to the state but it was declined. The light from the top of the lantern room was moved to a tower on the lighthouse property.
- 1956: The lighthouse was sold to the Borough of Sea Girt for $11,000. The building was used as a meeting place for town activities.
- 1980: The Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizens Committee was formed to restore the lighthouse. They leased the property from the town for 25 years at a rate of $1 per year. The lease was later extended to the year 2056.
- 1982: The light from the tower was removed and placed in the lantern room.
- 2002: Tours are available of the lighthouse.
Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.