Sherwood Point Lighthouse, near Idlewild, Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin
Built in 1883.
SHERWOOD POINT LIGHT
Location: STURGEON BAY/GREEN BAY/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1883
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1883
Automated? YES 1983
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Range: 15 miles
- Congress appropriated funds for a lighthouse to mark the western entry into Sturgeon bay and the ship canal in 1881.
- By late 1883 the light was lit for the first time.
- In 1892 the light mechanism was replaced as it had on occasion proved unreliable. The apparatus from another lighthouse was installed along with a fourth order Fresnel lens. A fog signal was also installed.
- Sometime in the 1930 the light was electrified.
- In 1983 the light was automated.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.