South Haven Light (South Haven South Pierhead Light), entrance to Black River on Lake Michigan, Van Buren County, Michigan
Built in 1872.
SOUTH HAVEN SOUTH PIERHEAD LIGHT
BLACK RIVER ENTRANCE/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1872
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Foundation Materials: PIER
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: RED W/BLACK TOWER
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1903
1868 – Lighthouse Board requested $6,000 appropriation for a pierhead light and keeper’s house. The appropriation was granted by Congress but then rescinded in 1840 before construction was completed.
1871 – Funds restored by Congress and construction began.
1890 – South Haven selected as a trial site for a Wolsbach burner gasoline light.
1901 – Wooden tower moved to the newly constructed end of the pier.
1902 – 5th order Fresnel installed and plans begun to replace the wooden tower with a metal one.
1903 – Pre-fabricated steel tower delivered to the pierhead and installed.
1913 – Pierhead lengthened again and light tower moved to the new end.
1991 – Michigan Maritime Museum began leasing the keeper’s dwelling from the Coast Guard.
2000 – Lighthouse property deeded to city of South Haven.
1871-1873 William Bryan
1874-1875 James Donahue (acting)
1875-1909 James Donahue (permanent assignment)
1909-1913 Louis De Diemer
1913-1919 Jesse Brown
1919-1932 John Langland, Jr.
1932-1940 Robert Young
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.