Southwest Pass Lighthouse, Southwest Pass of the Mississippi River, Louisiana
Original tower built in 1839, with a new skeletal tower built in 1873. Re-built in 1965 with tower and platform, but was replaced in 2007 with a new metal skeletal tower.
SOUTHWEST PASS ENTRANCE LIGHT
Location: SOUTHWEST PASS ENTRANCE
Station Established: 1831
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1962
Automated? YES 1985
Foundation Materials: PILE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: CONCRETE/STEEL
Tower Shape: TEXAS TOWER
Markings/Pattern: TOWER ON WHITE DWELLING ON PILES
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER
- 1832 – Winslow Homer built 1st lighthouse on this site.
- 1837 – Lighthouse fell into the Mississippi River.
- 1838 – Congress approved a new tower at this location.
- 1839 – brick conical tower built.
- 1849 – Lighthouse stood in 10’ of water.
- 1855 – Lighthouse Board received $45,000 for an iron tower to replace the crumbling brick tower. The Board ordered the basic metalwork, but another $70,000 was needed to complete the tower.
- 1861 – Congress supplied full funding for the lighthouse, but construction was not continued due to the Civil War. Union forces stole the lens from the old lighthouse.
- 1863 – 4th order lens was placed back in the old tower. The Lighthouse Board asked Congress for a re-appropriation of the necessary funds to finish the screwpile lighthouse. Congress approved $108,000.
- 1870 – Construction finally began on the iron screwpile structure.
- 1873 – New tower, with 1st order lens, lit on July 1.
- 1894 – Fire gutted the dwelling, melted the iron stairs, destroyed the lantern and the whole central cylinder had to be replaced.
- Circa 1953 – Skeletal lighthouse deactivated.
- 1962 – Present structure constructed.
- 1985 – Lighthouse automated.
- Captain Thomas S. Easton (1832 – unknown)
- Manuel Moreno (circa 1861)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.