St. Clair Flats Range Front Lighthouse, Lake St. Clair, Michigan
Built in 1859.
ST. CLAIR FLATS SOUTH CHANNEL RANGE LIGHTS
Location: OFF HARSENS ISLAND/LAKE ST. CLAIR
Station Established: 1859
Year Current Towers First Lit: 1859
Front Range: Yes
Rear Range: No
Deactivated: (see historical description below)
Rear: Wooden crib filled with stone
Front: Submerged timber crib
Front: "Small, yellow-brick tower, on crib"
Rear: 44 feet above lake level
Front: 28 feet above lake level
Rear: 4th Order
Front: 6th Order
Rear: Yellow brick
Front: Yellow brick, on crib, connected with dwelling by covered way.
Characteristics: fixed white (both)
- Construction of the South Channel Range Lights began in 1855 and was completed in 1859.
- The front light began to lean in 1875 and was dismantled, the crib rebuilt, and the light returned to service.
- The lights were taken out of service in 1907.
- At some point the front light was put back into service and remains an active aid to navigation
- The keeper's house on the rear light was dismantled in the early 1930s.