Stamford Harbor Ledge Lighthouse, Stamford, Connecticut
Sparkplug style lighthouse built in 1882.
STAMFORD HARBOR (CHATHAM ROCKS) LIGHT
Location: Stamford Harbor entrance on Chatham Rock near Stamford.
Station Established: 1882
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1882
Foundation Materials: CAST IRON/CONCRETE CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL ON CYLINDRICAL PIER
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER ON RED PIER
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- Stamford Harbor’s entrance is obstructed by treacherous reefs. Starting in 1871, local mariner’s petitioned for a lighthouse. They would have to wait until 1881 when the funds were approved for the light.
- The light was built in 1882 and was also lit that year. The lighthouse is 3,600 feet from shore. The shape of the light is “spark plug” style. The cylindrical pier is 28 feet high and 30 feet in diameter. The cast iron sections, which were manufactured in Boston, were assembled on the pier.
- The light was discontinued in 1953. The light was sold to a private party in 1955. The light has been sold several times over in the intervening years.
- It is currently a private aid to navigation and not opened to the public.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.