Statue of Liberty Lighthouse, Liberty Island, Manhattan, New York, New York
STATUE OF LIBERTY LIGHT
Location: Bedloe's Island, New York Harbor
Station Established: 1886
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1886
Foundation Materials: Stone
Construction Materials: Copper/Iron
Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
Original Lens: N/A
- President Grover Cleveland directed the Lighthouse Board "with the care of the statue and pedestal and the maintenance of the light" after the statute was inaugurated in 1886. It was first lit on 22 November 1886.
- Illumination was initially provided by 15 arc lamps and 14 incandescent lamps; with 9 of the arc lamps placed in the torch and 5 placed on the corners of the fort and fitted with reflectors to illuminate the statue's exterior. The 14 incandescent lamps lit the interior of the statue. The flame of the torch was cut at the sides and the openings were covered with glass. The lamps within the torch shined through these openings. Electricity was provided by one dynamo. The electric apparatus was designed and built by Mr. James J. Wood, electrician of the American Electric Manufacturing Company.
- As the light was deemed "useless" for navigation purposes, on 30 December 1901 President Theodore Roosevelt approved the Treasury Department recommendation that the care of the statute and beacon be turned over to the War Department. The transfer occurred on 1 March 1902 and at that time the light was extinguished.