St. Joseph Point Rear Range Light (St. Joseph Point Light), Port St. Joe, Florida
Built in 1902.
ST. JOSEPH POINT (BEACON HILL) REAR RANGE LIGHT
Location: RELOCATED FROM PORT ST. JOE/ST. JOSEPH BAY
Station Established: 1902
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1902
Foundation Materials: RELOCATED TO SIMMONS BAYOU
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: SQUARE ON SQUARE HOUSE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED ROOF W/OUT LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER
- In 1836 the Council of the Territory of Florida petitioned congress for a light to mark the entrance to St. Josephs Bay. The light was approved and built on the peninsula at the entrance to the bay. The town boomed for many years. In 1843 a hurricane destroyed the town and the site was abandoned for over 50 years. In the early 1900s the Port of St. Joe was established near the old site of St. Joseph. The old lighthouse had been closed and the equipment was moved to Cape San Blas Lighthouse. The old tower was soon washed away and was gone by 1851.
- Because of increased activity in the area, there was a request to again light the entrance to the bay. Congress approved and a light was built this time on the mainland. The new tower was completed in 1902. The new configuration was set up as a range light. The Rear Range Light was a square wooden house with a lantern on top of the roof.
- In 1960 the light was put on a skeletal tower. The old lighthouse was sold and moved. During the move the lantern room was destroyed.
- In 1978 the house was again sold and moved to Simmons Bayou where it was restored. It is now a private residence.
- Ephraim Anders (ca. 1840)