Straitsmouth Island Light, Straitsmouth Island, Rockport, Massachusetts
Originally built in 1835, it was replaced with a new tower in 1896.
STRAITSMOUTH ISLAND LIGHT
Location: STRAIGHTSMOUTH ISLAND
Station Established: 1835
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Automated? YES 1967
Foundation Materials: GRANITE
Construction Materials: BRICK/ASPHALT
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
* 1834 – Congress allocated $5,000 for a lighthouse on this site.
* 1835 – Lighthouse was built to mark the entrance to Pigeon Cove.
* 1850s – 5th order Fresnel lens installed.
* 1896 – Present tower built to replace original.
* 1932 – Light characteristic changed from white to green. The color was produced by a circular green shade in a shade holder.
* 1967 – Lighthouse automated and lens removed.
* 1985 – Converted to solar power.
* 1991 – Entryway to the tower was destroyed by a storm. It was subsequently replaced.
* Benjamin Andrews (1835-1841)
* John Davis (1841-?)
* Henry F. Low (1850-?)
* Nehemiah Knowlton (18??)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.