Stratford Shoal Light, Long Island Sound, New Haven County, Connecticut
Originally built in 1837, current structure built in 1877.
STRATFORD SHOAL (MIDDLE GROUND) LIGHT
Location: Long Island Sound between Long Island, New York and Bridgeport, Connecticut
Station Established: 1837
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1877
Foundation Materials: GRANITE ASHLAR CAISSON
Construction Materials: GRANITE BLOCKS
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL TOWER ON SQUARE DWELLING
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL WITH WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- The sight for the Stratford Shoal Light in 1837. A lightship was stationed at the sight in 1837. Ice and storms caused the ship to lose anchorage and drift off the site.
- The lighthouse was completed in 1877 to replace the lightship. It is built of granite blocks. Storms caused numerous delays in completing the construction. The light was first lit in December 1877.
- The remoteness of the station created difficult living conditions for the keepers. Over the years, the keepers performed many rescues.
- The light was also known as Middleground Light. It was automated in 1970.
- It is an active aid to navigation and not open to the public.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.