St. Simons Island Lighthouse, southern tip of St. Simons Island, Georgia
Originally built in 1810, current structure built in 1889.
ST. SIMONS ISLAND LIGHT
Location: ON THE SEACOAST OF GEORGIA, ON THE SOUTHERLY END OF ST. SIMON ISLND, NORTHERLY SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE TO ST. SIMONS SOUND
Station Established: 1811
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1872
Automated? Yes, 1954
Foundation Materials: Tabby
Construction Materials: Brick/Iron
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: White conical tower, with black lantern, attached to a two-story brick dwelling with red roof.
Relationship to Other Structure: Attached
Original Lens: Third Order, Fresnel, 1872
Characteristic: Fixed white varied by flashes, alternately red and white; interval between flashes 1 minute
- Apparently the only station in which a fatal shooting incident took place between employees of the Lighthouse Service. On 29 February 1880 the assistant keeper argued with the head keeper, Fred Osborne. Osborne brandished a pistol and the assistant reached for his shotgun. At a range of nearly 98 feet the assistant fired his shotgun, which was loaded with buckshot. He hit Osborne in four places and Osborne later died from his injuries. The assistant, after summoning medical assistance, turned himself in to authorities. He was later acquitted of any wrongdoing.