Sturgeon Bay Canal North Pierhead Light, Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin
Originally built in 1882, current structure built in 1903.
STURGEON BAY SHIP CANAL NORTH PIERHEAD LIGHT
Location: CANAL ENTRANCE/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1882
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL ON SQUARE HOUSE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1882
- In 1881 funds were provided by congress to build a lighthouse to mark the eastern entrance to the newly constructed Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal. Although the canal was a private venture, the government funded the lighthouse.
- In 1882 the light was built and first lit.
- In 1884 a steam fog building was added and an assistant keeper was hired.
- In 1886 a keeper’s house was built and a second fog signal building was constructed and an additional assistant keeper was hired.
- In 1893 the canal was purchased by the government.
- In 1896 the lighthouse came under the care of the Lighthouse Board.
- In 1903 a new tower was built when a new breakwater was completed.
- The light was automated in 1972.
- At some point the sixth order Fresnel lens was replaced by a 300 mm airport beacon.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.