Superior Entry Breakwater Lighthouse (Superior Entry South Breakwater Light), Superior Bay, Lake Superior, Wisconsin
Originally built in 1858.
SUPERIOR HARBOR ENTRY SOUTH BREAKWATER LIGHT
Location: WISCONSIN POINT/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1913
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1913
Automated? YES 1970
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
- In 1913 when this light was put into service, the old Wisconsin Point (Superior Entry) Lighthouse and fog building were discontinued.
- In 1937 the fog siren was replaced.
- In 1938 a radio beacon was added to the station.
- The light was automated in 1970. The Fresnel was replaced by a DCB aero beacon.
- The light is still active.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.