Munising Range Lights (Front and Rear Range Lights), East Channel next to Grand Island, Lake Superior, Munising, Michigan
MUNISING RANGE LIGHTS
MUNISING BAY CHANNEL/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1908
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1908
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: STEEL PLATE
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: ADAM & WESTLAKE REFLECTORS 1908
1905 – Lighthouse Board requested an appropriation of $13,500 from Congress in order to erect a set of range lights in this location to replace the Grand Island Range lights. Congress ignored the request.
1906 – Lighthouse Board reiterated the need for the new lights.
1907 – Congress approved $15,000 for the needed lights.
1908 – Steel towers lit for the first time.
2002 – Ownership transferred under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
- George Prior – (1909 – 1912)
- Alfred Evenson – (1913 – 1940)
- Capt. Thomas Robinson – (1940)