Southport Light Station (Kenosha Light), Kenosha, Wisconsin
Built in 1848, current structure built in 1866.
KENOSHA (SOUTHPORT) LIGHT
Location: SIMMONS ISLAND/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1848
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1866
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: CREAM COLORED BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: MORTAR COAT
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1866
- In 1847 land was purchased for the purpose of building a lighthouse on Simmons Island. The light was completed the following year.
- A second larger tower was built in 1858.
- It was not long before this tower required replacing and a new structure was completed in 1866.
- In 1903 it was decided to keep the light lit all year round because the winters were mild enough to allow year round shipping.
- In 1906 it was decided to discontinue this light.
- In 1913 the lantern was removed and the tower was capped off at the gallery level.
- In 1950s there were discussions about demolishing the tower. Citizens of Kenosha worked to save the tower and in 1955 the tower and lands were conveyed to the city of Kenosha.
- In 1994 the lantern was replaced. A light was installed and the tower became a private light.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.