Tarrytown Lighthouse (Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse or Kingsland Point Light), Hudson RIver, Sleepy Hollow, New York
Sparkplug style lighthouse built in 1883.
TARRYTOWN (KINGSLAND POINT) LIGHT
HUDSON RIVER SOUTH OF KINGSLAND
Station Established: 1883
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1883
Automated? YES 1957
Foundation Materials: STONE PIER/CAST IRON CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK TRIM & RED BASE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1883NAME OF LIGHT: Tarrytown (Kingsland Point) Light
LOCATION: Kingsland Point Park, Sleepy Hollow, NY
DATE BUILT: 1882 - 1883
HEIGHT: 56 feet (height of focal plane), 60 feet (top of lighthouse)
CHARACTERISTICS: fourth order Fresnel (1883)
- 1883, October 1: Light was first lit with Jacob Ackerman as the first keeper.
- 1957: Light was automated; its flashing red light was reduced from 7000 to1500 candle power.
- 1958: Building of the Tappan Zee Bridge made the lighthouse obsolete.
- 1965: The light was decommissioned.
- 1974: Westchester County acquired the lighthouse.
- 1979: Light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Late 1970's: The footbridge connecting the shore to the tower was built. Over time, landfills had filled in the shoreline within feet of the tower.
- 2002: Occasional tours of the lighthouse are available from the Westchester County Department of Parks
Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.